Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year!!

Well, I have a couple hours to say Happy New Year.  It's 10pm an we got back a few hours ago from a great New Years Party at my niece Bev's house.  Lot's of great food, wonderful people and good conversation.  A great way to start the year.

I was going to write about setting New Years goals or resolutions but was reading a great article in the Parade section of the paper and thought I would share an idea for the New Year. 

It was from a book called, "The Simple Act of Gratitude"  What this author wrote about was his experience of making a New Years Goal of handwriting a note of thanks at least one time a day for the year.  That would be 365 handwritten notes of thanks. 

Here are the steps it takes to get started:
1. Try to not use email or any other means of technology.  Handwritten notes feels special. You can get plain note cards at the dollar store or get some with your initial on it. 

2.  Be specific.  You could start by sending notes to those who gave you presents for Christmas. "Dear...., Thank you for the (Starbucks gift card) it is one of my favorite places for coffee. 

3. Next start writing to close friends and family about how much you appreciate them, again being specific.  Then write to people who have helped you in critical moments in life, or to a server at a restaurant or coffee shop that you go to frequently.  You can send them or hand them to the people your thanking (at a shop or store)

4.  Keep it simple.  Just three or four sentences.

I'm going to start this tomorrow, my goal will be to write a note everyday but I will be flexible and at least try to at least send or give a note to someone at least 3 times a week.  I will keep you posted!

No comments: