Psalm 37:4 says,
If you will make God the chief affection of your inmost heart...meaning you delight yourself in the Lord, find enormous pleasure and joy in him, get to know him well by continually sitting in his presence and obeying him.
He will give you the desires of your heart.....meaning you will receive boundless enthusiasm for the deep passions, cravings, longings, petitions, and aspirations that he planted in your heart.
God is waiting for you to recognize and enjoy the passions he gave you. The best way to find your God give passion and purpose is spending time in His presence and His word.
The following are some suggestion to help you find and nurture the God-given desires of
- Ask family and friends what they've noticed about your desires and passions
- Write down some notes about your times of greatest joy.
- Get out of your rut. Do something different, unusual, out of your normal routine.
- Guard against jealousy of other people's assignments from God.
- Spend some time thinking about what would ignite your passion.
- Experiment and look into some short term projects that you think you may enjoy (examples: volunteering, teaching etc)
As you spend time with God and work through some of these items expect God to reveal and give you the desires of your heart and don't be surprised if you find you already have them!