Thursday, September 24, 2009

Lessons Learned in the Storm

Last post I talked about the "storms" that I have been through in recent years and even months, what I have learned and discovered during those storms. I want to share a little more in detail some of those lessons learned in the Storm.
  1. I learned that God is always in the mist of these storms even if we don't see Him, feel Him or hear Him. The best illustration of this is the story of a man who had 3 children, his house caught on fire and he ran out with his wife and two of the children, the third child was upstairs. The father called to the son to jump into his arms, but the smoke was so thick that the son said, "I can't see you daddy!" but the father said to the son, " But I can see you Son!" jump and I will catch you. Sometimes during the storm we can't see God, but He always sees us and is waiting for us to jump into His arms.
  2. I learned the days I took the time to spend in God's presence and in His Word were that best days and that PRAYER WORKS!
  3. I learned that a lot of things I got angry and upset about really didn't matter. In the storm the little things stay the little things. I ask myself, "In five years, will this matter?"
  4. I learned what true humility is and I work daily to keep any kind of pride out of my life
  5. I learned to love unconditionally, be less judgemental and critical
  6. I learned to love people just as they are.
  7. I learned to be grateful and thankful for the little and simple things in life. A smile, a hug, a caring e-mail, an unexpected card in the mail, a child's laugh, a good laugh, a butterfly, just knowing you have family and friends that love and care about you and of course a cup of coffee and a chocolate bar. :)
  8. I learned that God really doesn't give us more than we can handle, it just feels like it at the time.
  9. I learned that I am stronger than I thought - 2 Corith. 13:9 We are glad whenever we are weak but you are strong
  10. I learned life isn't always fair, but God is always Good.
  11. I learned life is too short to waste time being angry at anyone.
  12. I learned to have a good sense of humor even when there was nothing to laugh about.
  13. I learned not to take myself too seriously.
  14. I learned I don't have to win every argument.
  15. I learned not to compare my life to others because I really don't know what they are really going through.
  16. I learned no one is in charge of my happiness but me.
  17. I learned to forgive everyone of everything
  18. I learned to treasure every family member and friend in my life and to ask them for prayer support and help when I needed it.
  19. I learned that negative thoughts, people and attitudes could not be part of my life.
  20. I learned to help others in their storm during my storm.
I am certainly not perfect and have much, much, much more growing to do in my life, but I can honestly say that these hard, difficult, messy, long-term perplexing times of my life have changed me in ways that never would have happened if the storms were not there. I have said many times that although I would do anything to keep those in my life from suffering the pain of what the storms brought them, whether it was self-imposed or out of their control, I personally would not trade what those experiences have done in my life and the ways they have changed me.

And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. Romans 8: 38,39

Next Post: 7 essential elements we need in our life to rise above the Storms of Life.


3 comments:

Kathy Green said...

Kathy,

Thanks for sharing with us your lessons learned... I thank you for your transparency in the midst of your storms. This speaks so loudly to me, as you speak with authority as one who has been there and not as one with just a theory or observation. I needed to hear your wisdom today! thanks, my friend! May God pour out a blessing to you and yours, a blessing so large it will be overflowing into the lives of all those in your circle of influence.

betty said...

A comforting and uplifting message, Kathy. Thank you. :)

CoachK said...

Kathy, thank you for your sweet comment and wonderful blessing. May those same blessings flow back to you.