Wednesday, August 1, 2007

August 1, 2007 "My Mom"

I have been gone for a few days from BLOG land and hope I still have a few bloggers checking the site. As many know my mom went home to be with Jesus this past Sunday. Although we miss her very much we are celebrating the fact that she has finished her race and she finished it well. My mom has endured the ravages of Alzheimer's for many years and to know that she is walking and talking and sitting at the feet of Jesus is enough to ease the pain of the loss of her sweet spirit here on earth. We had her celebration service today and I am going to write what I said at the service. There is so much more I could say but I think these words say it well


I just want to take a few moments to honor my mom. What a kind, gentle and gracious woman she was. My mom loved her family. Family was her priority. She always told me that all she ever wanted to be was the best mom and wife possible. Well, she accomplished her goal. Mom was a very self-sacrificing woman. She always put others before herself. I can remember her being up before everyone else in the morning and going to bed late at night. She took care of her family and her household like the Proverbs 31 woman. I can remember seeing her at the kitchen table every morning and evening reading her bible and praying. Mom loved God with all her heart and her greatest desire was always to see everyone she knew to know Jesus as their Lord and Savior, especially her family. Mom was a prayer warrior. When you asked mom to pray for a need you could be sure it was being lifted up to heaven on a constant basis as she would write your prayer request down in one of her many prayer journals. She would always buy extra groceries so if she found a family in need she could give them the extra bags. She would write letters of encouragement to college students and those away from home. She would save her birthday money and keep it in a jar and if she heard of anyone that needed help she would either give it to them when they visited or send the money to them. At funerals we tend to focus only on the positives of the person but in my moms case that is really who she was. I am so thankful that this wonderful lady was my mom. I have a very different personality then my mom but her influence is all over my life. I have learned so much from her and although I will probably never come close to being the person she was I know a part of her is in me and many of the things that were important to her are important me. Mom’s have a great influence on their children and how blessed I am to have had this wonderful lady to be that influence in my life.




1918 -2007


It's what's in the "dash" that matters.
I Love You Mom!

3 comments:

Meems said...

a beautiful tribute to your mom. moms hold one of the most significant places in our lives and your mom sounds like the kind of person every child and family needs. i am praying for you as you grieve her loss. thank you for the tender words you shared.

Pocahontas hiker said...

Grandma's life truly exuded (radiated) Christ, I would only hope to be- and imitate- her love for others. She will be missed. But we can remember her running the race as she imitated Christ, so can we copy that example!

MLM said...

I'm sad for you to miss your mom, but glad that she is home with Jesus. Your words were lovely and so is her photo; she sounds and looks like a beautiful woman.