Friday, March 12, 2010

30 Days of Character Development - Self-Control

Moving on to our next Character Trait I was torn between "self-control" and "patience" but chose to go with self-control next. The reason went with self-control first is that is what you have to have first to develop patience.

Knowing God leads to Self-Control. Self-Control leads to patient endurance and patient endurance leads to godliness. 2 Peter 1:6

Lack of Self-Control comes in many forms. You may have it in one area of your life but not in another. Many of us when thinking of someone without self-control would immediately think of a person that can not control their emotions such as anger, saying something hurtful before you think or displaying out of control emotions. But sometimes we don't think of overspending, overeating, not exercising, chronic lateness (ouch!), saying no to commitments you shouldn't commit to, spending too much time on the phone, computer or even gossiping as a lack of self - control but they are.

There are so many things that we can't control in life, such as other peoples behavior, life circumstances, the economy, job situations, and the world around us but we can control. A Self-Controlled person is able to let go of those uncontrollable and unchangeable things in their life and focus on what is controllable and what is changeable, which is US....and our own attitudes.

A Self-Controlled person takes ownership for what they can control with God's strength.
Here are some ways that healthy God control helps you set the right boundaries in your life:
  • I can't change others, but I can change myself
  • I can't control certain situations, but I can control my attitude.
  • I can't look to others to keep my controls in place, I have to desire to control myself.
  • I can depend on others to "fix me" ; I am responsible for my own growth.
  • Just because it's fun doesn't mean its right
  • Just because you want it doesn't mean you should get it'
  • It's healthy to be in control, It's not healthy to be controlling
  • It is healthy to change and improve yourself. It is not healthy to dominate, manipulate or micromanage others.
Each day I am going to list possible areas that may indicate a lack of self - control. Today we will focus on our:
Personal Life: Take note of all that apply:
Negative Self Talk, Overspending, Perfectionism, Unbalanced Diet, Overindulgence in any personal area of life.
Relationship with others:
Compromise of values to be accepted, people pleaser, Need to fix, change, or improve others, Need to dominate, manipulate or micromanage others, Over dependence on others.
Verbal/Emotional:
Anger that hurts others, criticism, Gossip, Judgmental spirit, Lying, negativity, Uncontrolled words, Unreasonable fears, Withholding praise.

Like a city whose walls are broken through is a person who lacks self-control
Proverbs 25:28

1 comment:

Beverly Walters Whaley said...

Awesome post my trainer...and it shouldn't have been "old wise one" is should have been "ol' wise one"! LOL Self control is always a hard one....for all of us.......I am learning self control in soooo many areas of my life...so this is a good challenge for me......so bring it on girl!