Many of us have seen and possibly even experienced the affects of Pride. It has destroyed ministries, marriages, friendships and on and on. In fact, I think I would be correct in saying that just about anything that comes to ruin and destruction in our life will find it's root in pride at some level.
Pride takes on many different faces:
1. "It's all about me" face - When we exalt ourselves we aren't exalting God. Luke 11:43
2. The "Poor me" face - worthlessness is a deceptive form of Pride. Matt. 6:16
3. The "Judgmental Spirit" face - being a critical, irritable, self-righteous person. Matt 7: 1-5
4. The "I'm my own boss" face - Not being teachable, Never admitting your wrong, not being willing to change. Hosea 7:10
Beth Moore is her Breaking Free bible study says it best:
- Pride covers our hearts - God wants our hearts
- Pride refuses to look back - God want to free us from our past
- Pride doesn't like to be told what to do - God wants us to obey His Word
- Pride thinks he is free enough - God wants to free us completely
- Pride says secrets are nobodies business - God want to bring us out of the dark
- Pride denies there is a problem - God wants to help us with our problems
- Pride won't admit to weakness - We are made strong in Him.
Proverbs 8:13 " To fear the LORD is to hate evil; I hate pride and arrogance, evil behavior and perverse speech.
Proverbs 16:5 The LORD detests all the proud of heart. Be sure of this: They will not go unpunished.
James 4:6 But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."
Isaiah 66:2 Has not my hand made all these things, and so they came into being?" declares the LORD. "This is the one I esteem: he who is humble and contrite in spirit, and trembles at my word.