Thursday, March 4, 2010

Day 4 - of 30 Days of Character Development - Humility

I took and Pride Test and as promised here is my result:
47 - You are learning to be more and more humble. Way to go! I felt good with that score. I knew I was not going to get the first one (genuine humility) and I was hoping I wouldn't get the next one. I really do think this is accurate because as I was looking at the different statements I could see how much I have changed in many areas. Five years ago my score would have been much higher. I'm not happy about that but I am happy that I am seeing change.

So as we continue our week of looking at Humility, how do we get there? If we are struggling with Pride of any kind how do we change that around. Here are some suggestions but really as with any change we bring into our life.......We have to first recognize it as a problem
  • We then have to be willing to do the "hard work" of change
  • We then have to go to God for strength and a humble heart, asking for His help
  • We then have to be very aware of our behavior - asking an accountability person to help us, we all have blind spots we can not see. We have to ask ourselves hard questions everyday as we encounter different situations.
  • We then can start the process of change, and it is a process!
The most important aspect of working on humility is to grow closer to God, spend more time concentrating on Him, set your sights on Him, invest your time in His Word and what it says about how we are to view ourselves and others. The Bible is full of examples and lessons on humility.

Is it "All about you"? Decide on a daily basic to make it about God and others

Is it " Poor me?" Learn who you are in Christ and stop the lies about your lack of value

Is it "Judgmental, critical" you?" Stop trying to change everyone else and work on yourself. Believe me we have more than enough to do changing ourselves without worrying about everyone else. We are not God!

Is it "Don't tell me what to do!"you. - See people as God's instrument and stop resisting their input into your life. Some of what they say may be right.

Philippians 2:3 "When you do things, do not let selfishness or pride be your guide. Instead be humble and give more honor to others than to yourselves"

Question for the Day: In what ways can you give more honor to others on a daily basis?

Tomorrow we will talk about the eight core values of humility.

No comments: