Friday, November 20, 2009

Day 20 - of 30 Days of Happiness

Day 20 - Self -Care Day - Do something for you today!

The above picture is what I had envisioned for my self-care day. My idea of a great self-care plan is to go to Starbucks and get a latte then go to Godiva and get a couple pieces of chocolate then proceed to the pedicure place and have my feet in hot soapy water as I drink my latte and eat my Godiva chocolate. It just doesn't get much better for me than that!

Unfortunately, that didn't happen today. :( In fact for the first time in 20 days I was not able to fully complete my challenge. The day started out good - actually in some way a little bit of self-care happened. I met a friend to walk and talk this morning - it was a beautiful morning - we walked the trail so it was serene and pretty and we had a great time catching up and talking - in fact we walked for about an hour and a half. After that the day went downhill. I am in the throngs of wedding right now and after my walk I came home to prepare to get the rest of my list of things done. Well, I'm not going to go into great detail because it would bore you but everything that I tried accomplish took twice as long as planned and I didn't get home until 6:30. But I had a little self care time after that as hubby and I went to Chili's got the 2 or 20 and had the little dessert cups - you get 3 different ones and they are all good. So I guess I did do some self -care today.

Now here is an actual Self Care plan that I sometimes give my clients:
  • Get adequate sleep and rest
  • Smile and have laughter in your life.
  • Feed your body, mind and spirit
  • Approach each day with a purpose
  • Avoid being self-critical
  • Be sure to build in your schedule time for relationships and fun
  • Start a Journal - instead of keeping our thoughts and feelings inside, get them down on paper. A journal helps in venting thoughts and feelings.
  • Take responsibility for your own life. Life is about choices. Understand yourself, your behaviors, your thoughts/beliefs and your motivations.
I really hope your self care day was better than mine -but then again - mine wasn't that bad. :)

God arranged for a broad-leafed tree to spring up. It grew over Jonah to cool him off and get him out of his angry sulk. Jonah was pleased and enjoyed the shade. Life was looking up. Jonah 4:6 (The Message)

Tomorrow: Donate food, clothing, money or time to somewhere that is helping people in need.

2 comments:

Juliette said...

I started the day with a personal treat (or should I say ended the previous day) around 2am by watching one of my favorite English shows on the internet. After that it was indulgent in that my husband went with me while I picked out plants and large ceramic pots for the continuing work in the garden. We were late for lunch but had to continue so I indulged in the $1 special at Burger King and got a double cheese burger. I haven’t eaten one of those EVER in my life. I topped it off with a Hersey’s chocolate bar with almonds and I didn’t even get a headache! I then worked in the garden until dark, afterwards going to Lowe’s to get a trellis for my morning glory vine. Dinner was leftovers so I didn’t cook.

A little indulgent in different ways but I am not one for pedicures so I guess this will do. I think I am living in indulgence right now because I have the freedom to chose to do what I love doing – gardening.

I think another indulgence I am allowing myself is this blog.

CoachK said...

juliette,
it sounds like you had a great day. Self-care is very individualized. 2am? Wow, I'm glad you look at this blog as an indulgence. :)