Sunday, November 8, 2009

Day 8 - of 30 Days of Happiness

Day 8 - create or start a prayer journal-

As long as I can remember from the time I was a child until she became too ill to write, my mom kept a prayer journal - it was very simple - just a plain book or sometimes a steno pad but inside the pages of that book were lists and lists of names - day by day - month by month - year by year, that she prayed for everyday. Beside the name was the need and then as the answer to prayer came you would see that noted in the book. She also had many scripture promises on each page.

After my mom passed away, we had stacks of her books and you could see all the people through the years that she diligently prayed for. If you are reading this and you knew my mom I can almost guarentee you that your name was in one of those books. You always knew that when you asked my mom to pray for something or she said she would pray for you, that your name and your need would go directly into her prayer book and she would pray for you every day. I honestly remember times of calling my mom and asking her to pray and feeling a peace about the situation because I just knew the strength of her prayers.

Well, I would love to tell you I have followed in my moms footsteps but I am sad to say that I have not kept up with my journals as well. I have started many prayer journals, doing them in the same format as my mom but haven't kept up with them like her. But! Today is a new day so I am beginning again. I would love to hear if any of you have a daily prayer journal or if you just started one today.

The following are a few links to how to create a prayer journal if you want to be more creative than me. I basically am going to follow my moms format - because it reminds me of her. :)



Pray hard and long. Pray for your brothers and sisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each other's spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out. Ephesians 6:18 (The Message)

Tomorrow: Do something you love to do! (I'm looking forward to this one!)


4 comments:

Cindy Gee said...

What a wonderful thing to remember your mom by... I know your mom was a wonderful person and she left you with a great spiritual heritage.

I've kept prayer journals for over 25 years... not so much lists (although there are some in them) but more like scripture prayers. Whatever the issues are that I'm dealing with ... the answer in scripture is what I write in my prayer journal. Stacks of them will reveal my life when I am gone... yikes.

It's never too late to get started... I hope you enjoy it... otherwise you shouldn't do it.
Cindy @ Priceless Gain

Juliette said...

Well since I do not like to keep journals, I passed on this day’s response. I pray immediately when a request is made and then again as the Lord brings it to mind. I knew your mom for years and was privileged to see how great a prayer warrior she was. You knew when you spoke to her that she would indeed intercede with fervor until she had a break through. When I think of ‘prayer warrior’ as a gifting, I think of your mom.

Prayer to me is constant conversation with Jesus. I can’t write as fast as I talk or think.

Pray without ceasing.

CoachK said...

Cindy,
I think that is so cool to have all that history - especially to you kid and grandchildren. I really wish I had been more diligent about keeping a regular journal.

My moms journals were pretty much lists and I do have to say I wish she had written more about herself and her feelings - what she was going through at different times of life. But you are right, you need to enjoy it, I'm going to give it another try.

CoachK said...

Juliette,
As Cindy stated above, you need to enjoy the process or don't do it so I know you have chosen wisely.

I am around you enough to know that you are constantly in prayer and you do fine without a journal. :)