Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Day 24 - of 30 Days of Happiness

Thank you Juliette for the great 3 friends picture!!

Day 24 - Tell 3 friends how important they are to you (you can do this through e-mail,a card, or phone)

I enjoyed this challenge today because it made me think about 3 people in my life that have in the past and recently really been there for me. They are all very unique and each brings something special and different into my life. I can laugh, cry and share my heart with each of them about different things and situation in my life. Once thing I know about all of them is that they are my safe people. They guard the things I talk to them with their hearts and they know I do the same for them.

I have never really been a "best friend" person. I have found as the following little poem explain that friends are in your life for different reasons and different seasons. I do have the few that are very close and I would share just about anything with and I have others that we share other interests and common themes in life. But they all add value into my life. So I thought I would share this poem as I think it describes friendships very well:

People come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime. When you figure out which one it is, you will know what to do for each person.

When someone is in your life for a REASON, it is usually to meet a need you have expressed. They have come to assist you through a difficulty, to provide you with guidance and support, to aid you physically, emotionally, or spiritually. They may seem like a godsend, and they are! They are there for the reason you need them to be. Then, without any wrongdoing on your part, or at an inconvenient time, this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end. Sometimes they die. Sometimes they walk away. Sometimes they act up and force you to take a stand. What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled, their work is done. The prayer you sent up has been answered. And now it is time to move on.

Then people come into your life for a SEASON, because your turn has come to share, grow, or learn. They bring you an experience of peace, or make you laugh. They may teach you something you have never done. They usually give you an unbelievable amount of joy. Believe it! It is real! But, only for a season.

LIFETIME relationships teach you lifetime lessons: things you must build upon in order to have a solid emotional foundation. Your job is to accept the lesson, love the person, and put what you have learned to use in all other relationships and areas of your life.

24 There are “friends” who destroy each other,
but a real friend sticks closer than a brother. Proverbs 18:24

Tomorrow: Notice a way that God has blessed you today

2 comments:

Juliette said...

Kathy, I was very intrigued by what you have said on the ‘times’ where we have friendships. I think I was much more black and white about who I considered a friend and who I classified as an acquaintance. Not all people in my life make it to my friend list. But like you, the ones that are there are special forever. That’s why I hate to have them pass out of my life. I think I still might have a difficult time with people that are there for a reason or a season but I am working into this especially because we have a ministry to the hurting. I realize that I cannot be deep friends with many people. There just isn’t the time to devote to them. And one of my criteria is that a true friend must be available. I don’t like casual friends and would rather be alone.

So today I went through my email address book with an eye for the friends that are so valuable to me. The list was longer than I first planned for. I even got replies. I supposed because it is Thanksgiving that I was especially aware of being thankful for them but I also think it has to do with world events – the knowledge that things are changing and we must prepare ourselves for the return of the Lord and the corresponding events that usher His coming. This makes friends all the more precious.

I want to make sure I hold my family and friends very close.

Phil 1:3-4
I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always offering prayer with joy in my every prayer for you

CoachK said...

Juliette,
I'm sure you blessed a lot of people with your e-mails and got a few blessings in return - I know I did. I agree the more difficult life and the culture we live in becomes the more we appreciate our family and close friends. I appreciate you!