Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Day 4 - of 30 Days of Happiness..

Day 4 - Make three people smile today.

I really wasn't sure if I was going to get this done today but here I am. Mission accomplished. Wednesday is my Life Coaching day and I see clients all day plus I do a Career Ministry Support Group at night so I had to really think out how I was 1. going to make three people smile and 2. write this blog.

Well, first to tell you how my smile project went. As you can imagine, sometimes the project decided on for the day doesn't always go as planned but the point is not the outcome but he effort put toward it.

So I decided that I was not going to count any of my clients smiles as that would be too easy. So I prayed and thoughts about who I would like to in some way bless to day.
  1. My first "victim" :) was a young woman at Publix - I stopped by on my lunch hour and she was the cashier. I noticed she had the most beautiful shiny hair. So as she was handing me the money I said, "You have beautiful hair. It is so shiny and healthy looking" I truly meant it. Well, within seconds she smiled and said, with a smile in her voice, "Thank you!"
  2. My next plan was to buy 3 red roses to take to the office I'm working in to bless the admin assist. Maggie is always greeting my clients, taking calls for me and I'm not an employee. She is also always doing and giving to others so I really felt God wanted me to do something special for her to just let her know her actions are noticed. Well, when I got back I was informed that she was gone for the day - but her boss - Dr. Siemer - called her and told her what was on her desk and he told me "she was smiling on the phone." :)
  3. After my day of gratitude yesterday - I realized how much I appreciate my hubby but rarely tell him. I like many spouses tend to take for grated all that he does and is in my life. So when he came home I told him all of the great qualities I see in him and how much I appreciate all he does and is to me. And yes.....he smiled....very big in fact!
I'm leaving in about an hour to go to the Career Group and I'm going to try to make some more people smile - because today has shown me how as I am making a real effort to make other smile - I am getting the benefit of smiling on the inside and the outside too!

Some fun facts about Smiling:
  • Smiling makes us attractive
  • Smiling changes our mood
  • Smiling is Contagious
  • Smiling relieves stress
  • Smiling boasts your immune system
  • Smiling lowers your blood pressure
  • Smiling releases endorphins, natural pain killers and serotonin
  • Smiling lifts the face and makes you look younger
  • Smiling makes you seem successful
  • Smiling helps you stay Positive

A friendly smile makes you happy,and good news makes you feel strong. Proverbs 15:30 (Contemporary English Version)

Tomorrow: spend time or observe someone under 6 and think about watch how they view life.

4 comments:

betty said...

I enjoyed that blog, Kathy. That was a happy blog! :)

Juliette said...

I took today’s challenge on with a different perspective, more introspective as to why people smile and how their smiling makes me feel. I asked myself first ‘why were they smiling?’ and then I thought ‘how does their smile impact me?’ Here are my documented experiences –

1. My husband kissed me good morning and I smiled. He smiled back. As I looked up into his eyes I immediately had a recollection of a recent fun time we had together and how much I enjoyed his kiss.

2. Office environment, I was visiting someone I knew. Another person I know greeted me with a smile and hug and I smiled back. I felt very reserved and cautious because I knew this person has a very practiced way of greeting people in the same fashion each time. I felt it was genuine without being personal at the same time. I thought to myself ‘what a waste.’ As I passed by the receptionist I smiled and she smiled back, giggling. ‘Oh the joy of youth!’

3. I met with a friend over ministry items, laughing together for most of the time. I observed her and how she smiled. I could tell the difference in her smiles under other circumstances and those she gave me now and I asked her about them. Her response was that she likes to smile and to make others smile because she genuinely likes people. She has no other agenda nor lists that she uses to evaluate the situation. She just likes to have a fun time and likes to be able to make people smile. Simply put.

4. Toy aisle in WalMart, I needed to get by another cart, and said ‘excuse me.’ The lady responded very quickly and politely and said ‘Oh, I didn’t realize you were there.’ I said ‘that’s okay, you didn’t expect me.’ She then said very cutely, ‘if I had I would have baked a cake.’ I had to stop, hang my head and just laugh. It was such a good response. I then said ‘and I would have enjoyed it.’ It gave us a chance to just chat about our grandkids and made me continue smiling the rest of the day, repeating the story to others.

5. The exit cashier at WalMart was very efficient and solicitous. I smiled politely and they did too. All was very professional and well done. I left satisfied with my experience of efficiency without emotional interaction. I remember his earnest expression and that I looked intently into his eyes.

6. I spent the evening with our son and grandson. I will use most of my time of observation as fuel for Day 5’s response but suffice it to say that little ones that are 2 and one half make you smile over everything, what they say, how they say it and always how they smile with twinkles in their eyes. Their level of enthusiasm and joy over themselves being cute is infectious. Watching my son smile over his arrangement of houses for his Christmas Village and his desire to include his dad and me in the process, makes more than my mouth smile – it makes my heart do the same.

In reviewing all that I experienced today, this is what I learned –

Smiles can be tied to good memories, they can be genuine yet distant with no emotional investment, they are expressed because you are happy by nature and like everyone, you like who you are and humor makes you smile as well as others but you do it more for you because to like to have fun. Smiles can be given because they are part of being professional and well-mannered. And best of all, you give a smile to the one you love because you love them and know their smile back tells you that you are loved too.

I bet God smiled on the sixth day when He was finished with His creation and saw that everything He created was very good. And God so loved the world that He gave us His son that all who would believe in Him would not perish but have everlasting life. This makes me smile a smile of surety that comes from the security and hope for an expected end.

CoachK said...

Thank you Bettsy! That is the goal...a happy blog and hopefully it is bringing some happiness into peoples lives!

CoachK said...

Juliette,
What great insight. Alot to think about. My favorite part of your comment was...."And best of all, you give a smile to the one you love because you love them and know their smile back tells you that you are loved too."
So so true!