Day 3 - A day of gratefulness. Spend time all day reflecting on all the things in life to be grateful for.
I promise you I did not know what the weather would be like when I chose this day to be grateful - but oh my am I grateful for such a beautiful fall day! I am sitting out in my pouch feeling the cool breeze and enjoying the fall look of the day. I really don't need anything else to complete my grateful day...this would be enough. I could close my eyes and think I was in North Carolina - it even smells like fall!
I have a feeling this is going to be a VERY long post. :)
I want to give you some facts both biblical and scientific about gratitude. The Biblical facts about gratitude or thankfulness can be found at this link - http://www.searchgodsword.org/con/ntb/view.cgi?number=T4882
The following are some scientific facts about being a grateful person:
- Being grateful refocuses your priorities in life - We tend to look for or work toward the Big Goals, the worries of life or where we are headed but having a grateful heart causes us to enjoy the simple things in life - like a beautiful day, a huge laugh with a friend, healthy children and so many other things that are everyday common things.
- Being grateful improves your physical and emotional well-being - science has proven that people who express their gratitude daily in some way are 25% happier and significantly healthier than those who don't.
- Being grateful reduces negativity, improves relationships and improves problem solving.
So don't let this be the only day you practice gratitude. Make it a lifestyle.
Here are a few suggestions on how to do this, like everything in life that is worth doing you have to create a habit:
- On a regular basis make a list of the big things and small things you are grateful for
- Reflect on your list and feel good about it
- If there are people on your list - show them some sort of appreciation.
So here is my list of things I am grateful for today:
- I am grateful for this beautiful day and wonderful weather
- I am grateful for the taste and the smell of a cup of coffee
- I am grateful for some time I spent with my hair stylist - we started talking about this blog and had an amazing conversation about faith and being positive
- I am grateful for my husband who gets up at 5:30 every morning to read the Word before work and then goes to work to keep our house going.
- I am grateful for my children and their families and that we are able to get together on a regular basis and we like each other! :) no really we love each other.
- I am grateful for my big extended family who I know everyone of them are always there for me.
- I am grateful that I know God and I am His child.
- I am grateful for the friends that God has brought into my life. Each one unique and each brings something different and special into my life.
- I am grateful that I have a car (even an old one) and can drive.
- I am grateful that I live in a country where we can go to the grocery store and get just about anything we want - we have such abundance. I know I take this for granted
Oh there are soooo many others but these are the top today in my reflections -
Some parting words:
Gratitude is an
- a Attitude
- a Choice
- a Habit
"At all times and for everything giving thanks in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God the Father." Ephesians 5:20 (Amplified Bible)
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle - Plato
Tomorrow - Make 3 people smile :)