Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Day 3 - of 30 Days of Happiness

Day 3 - A day of gratefulness. Spend time all day reflecting on all the things in life to be grateful for.

I promise you I did not know what the weather would be like when I chose this day to be grateful - but oh my am I grateful for such a beautiful fall day! I am sitting out in my pouch feeling the cool breeze and enjoying the fall look of the day. I really don't need anything else to complete my grateful day...this would be enough. I could close my eyes and think I was in North Carolina - it even smells like fall!

I have a feeling this is going to be a VERY long post. :)

I want to give you some facts both biblical and scientific about gratitude. The Biblical facts about gratitude or thankfulness can be found at this link - http://www.searchgodsword.org/con/ntb/view.cgi?number=T4882

The following are some scientific facts about being a grateful person:
  • Being grateful refocuses your priorities in life - We tend to look for or work toward the Big Goals, the worries of life or where we are headed but having a grateful heart causes us to enjoy the simple things in life - like a beautiful day, a huge laugh with a friend, healthy children and so many other things that are everyday common things.
  • Being grateful improves your physical and emotional well-being - science has proven that people who express their gratitude daily in some way are 25% happier and significantly healthier than those who don't.
  • Being grateful reduces negativity, improves relationships and improves problem solving.
So don't let this be the only day you practice gratitude. Make it a lifestyle.

Here are a few suggestions on how to do this, like everything in life that is worth doing you have to create a habit:
  1. On a regular basis make a list of the big things and small things you are grateful for
  2. Reflect on your list and feel good about it
  3. If there are people on your list - show them some sort of appreciation.
So here is my list of things I am grateful for today:
  • I am grateful for this beautiful day and wonderful weather
  • I am grateful for the taste and the smell of a cup of coffee
  • I am grateful for some time I spent with my hair stylist - we started talking about this blog and had an amazing conversation about faith and being positive
  • I am grateful for my husband who gets up at 5:30 every morning to read the Word before work and then goes to work to keep our house going.
  • I am grateful for my children and their families and that we are able to get together on a regular basis and we like each other! :) no really we love each other.
  • I am grateful for my big extended family who I know everyone of them are always there for me.
  • I am grateful that I know God and I am His child.
  • I am grateful for the friends that God has brought into my life. Each one unique and each brings something different and special into my life.
  • I am grateful that I have a car (even an old one) and can drive.
  • I am grateful that I live in a country where we can go to the grocery store and get just about anything we want - we have such abundance. I know I take this for granted
Oh there are soooo many others but these are the top today in my reflections -

Some parting words:
Gratitude is an
  • a Attitude
  • a Choice
  • a Habit
"At all times and for everything giving thanks in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God the Father." Ephesians 5:20 (Amplified Bible)

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle - Plato

Tomorrow - Make 3 people smile :)

2 comments:

Juliette said...

I ended the day yesterday by preparing for today’s events. First I looked up some definitions.

GRATEFUL indicates a warm or deep appreciation of personal kindness as shown to one.

THANKFUL indicates a disposition to express gratitude by giving thanks; there is often a sense of deliverance as well as of appreciation.

My chosen scripture verse shows me that God requires it of us -
1 Thess 5:18
18 Thank [God] in everything [no matter what the circumstances may be, be thankful and give thanks], for this is the will of God for you [who are] in Christ Jesus [the Revealer and Mediator of that will]. AMP

NT:2168 (Strong’s concordance)
eucharisteo (yoo-khar-is-teh'-o); from NT:2170; to be grateful, i.e. (actively) to express gratitude (towards); specially, to say grace at a meal: (I wonder if this is the root for Eucharist – the sacrament of Holy Communion and also the word used for the body of Christ during communion. Originally from 1350-1400AD meaning gratefulness, thanksgiving.)

Today I spent concentrating on the word GRATEFUL – to be actively expressive to God in all circumstances, not just those I am exuberant about. I took it on as a yardstick by which to measure all that I came into contact with. It was good to have done the previous studies on joy and happiness (rejoicing, peace and trust). I added the word ‘thankful’ to that list based on the grateful definition. These words will help me to recognize where I am. I also kept before me the prayer that God gave me at the end of yesterday –

Lord, give me a willing heart and help me keep my focus on You. Trusting in Your loving-kindness towards me, I will be at peace.

One of my most favorite musical artists is Paul Wilbur (Messianic Jewish music) and by reviewing his lyrics I was able to tie them back to scripture and understand better how to be in constant gratitude.

1. In HIS presence there is fullness of joy.
Ps 16:11
11 You will show me the path of life;
In Your presence is fullness of joy;
At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore. NKJV

2. Rejoice with all your heart.
Zeph 3:14
14 Shout for joy, O daughter of Zion!
Shout in triumph, O Israel!
Rejoice and exult with all your heart,
O daughter of Jerusalem! NASB

3. Sing for joy because He has made you glad.
Ps 92:4
4 For Thou, O LORD , hast made me glad by what Thou hast done,
I will sing for joy at the works of Thy hands. NASB

Shout for Joy
Ps 5:11
But let all those rejoice who put their trust in You;
Let them ever shout for joy, because You defend them;
Let those also who love Your name
Be joyful in You. NKJV

I am recognizing a key here, TRUST. All things go back to trusting God for who He is; then we rejoice, are able to shout for joy, knowing we can expect His loving-kindness (strength, steadfastness and love) towards us, and are exceedingly grateful for it. I spent the day looking at every single thing, every step and breath, all things I touched, saw and communicated with, constantly saying to God how grateful I was that He was with me in all things.

I am grateful today that I can trust God and that he has been merciful unto me.

CoachK said...

Juliette,
I think the last paragraph says it all - it comes down to trust and as we spoke about earlier faith.
I thought it was interesting how Gratefulness creates a need to express thankfulness. That is so true and I never thought of it like that.